Track and field shines at trio of meets

Despite being thousands of miles apart, the Longhorns collectively thrived at three separate meets this weekend.

Dealing with cold weather and crosswinds in Waco, Texas’ throwers and jumpers still found success at the Michael Johnson Invitational.

Redshirt juniors Haley Crouser and Alan Zapalac turned heads in their respective events. Crouser earned a victory in the javelin throw, hurling for 50.65 meters (165-3) — 13 feet farther than the second-place finisher. Zapalac set a new season best in the hammer throw, tossing for 61.05 meters (200-3). The mark ranks seventh in the Big 12 this year.

The Longhorns also gained a handful of victories at the LSU Alumni Gold in Baton Rouge.

Senior Chrisann Gordon dominated the women’s 400 meters with a time of 50.64 seconds, running for a new personal best and the No. 1 time in the NCAA this season

“Chrisann did exactly what I thought she could do and what we’ve been working on,” associate head coach Tonja Buford-Bailey said.

Moving up to No. 2 in the country, senior Byron Robinson ran his fastest time of the season in the 400 meter hurdles, crossing the finish line in 49.55 seconds. He also contributed to a Texas victory in the men’s 4x100 meter relay.

“Seeing his race today gives us a really good perspective on what we need to be working on in the weeks to come,” Buford-Bailey said.

At the Cardinal Classic in California, sophomore Meghan Lloyd became the fastest Longhorn in school history in the steeplechase. Her time of 10:20.37 beats the previous school record by more than six seconds and ranks as the top time in the Big 12 this season. 

Sophomore Alex Rogers earned the No. 4 time in the nation in the 1,500 meters, finishing with a time of 3:40.85, which ranks as the third-best time in school history.

“Lloyd’s been looking really good,” assistant coach Brad Herbster said. “We got a great performance out of Alex Rogers. That moves him into the spotlight in that event.”

Texas returns home this week to host the Longhorn Invitational, the team’s last meet before the Big 12 Championships on May 12–14.