Report: Strong to be fired in wake of loss to Kansas

Update (6:30 p.m.): Athletic director Mike Perrin denied reports of Strong's firing in a statement. He said Strong is preparing to coach against TCU on Friday. 

“There are a number of rumors out there about the status of Coach Strong," Perrin said in his statement. "I’ve said it all along, we will evaluate the body of work after the regular season. We have a game to get ready for against TCU on Friday, and I hope our fans will come out and support our team. We’ll discuss where things stand after that.”

Update (6:26 p.m.): Strong will coach the team's final regular season game before stepping down, according to the Brian Davis at the Statesman and ESPN.

Original story: Texas will fire head coach Charlie Strong before the team’s final game, according to the Austin American-Statesman. However, the announcement may not come until Monday, according to the report.

The decision comes after the team fell 24-21 to Kansas on the road, the biggest upset loss against the spread in program history.

Strong entered the 2016 season with pressure to turn the program around after finishing 6–7 and 5–7 in his first two years, respectively. However, the team fell short of expectations with a 5–6 record with one game to play. The loss to a one-win Jayhawk team — Kansas hasn’t beaten an FBS team since November 2014 — puts Texas in danger of missing a bowl game for the second straight season.

Strong will finish with a 16–20 record in just under three seasons as Texas’ head coach.