Women sweep Florida, Indiana

On the last leg of the opening relay in Friday’s meet, Indiana had a narrow lead over the Texas women.

But All-American junior Rebecca Millard refused to lose. 

The Longhorns won the 200-meter medley relay behind Millard, clocking in at 1:54.88. And the women never looked back. They went on to win 13 of the 15 events, taking matchups against Indiana (170–106) and Florida (186–90).

Millard anchored the team, providing four victories for the Longhorns in the 200-meter medley relay, 50-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle and 400-meter freestyle. After swimming in the Olympic Trials this summer, Millard is confident about taking the next step this season.

“You are on a stage with a lot bigger fish and you are swimming against people who are gonna be swimming for the United States in the Olympics.” Millard said, “It’s pretty exciting.”

Three Texas freshmen had solid outings in their first collegiate meet. Claire Adams, Lauren Case and diver Alison Gibson all placed second in their respective events. 

“I think the surprise might be how our freshman kind of stand up.” head coach Carol Capitani said, “We had a really strong class bringing them in here. It’s nice to see how they can put it all together.”

Texas’ momentum continued into the second day of competition. The Longhorns won 14 of their 15 events Saturday to complete the weekend sweep.

With a strong opening weekend, the Longhorns have high hopes for the rest of the season.

“We want to place higher than we have ever done.” Capitani said. 

Texas’ next meet will be against Texas A&M on Nov. 3.