Men split weekend events

The Longhorn men finally hit the pool this weekend for their first meet, carrying an offseason of big expectations. 

The two-time defending national champions were eager to rediscover their rhythm as they competed in their season-opening meet in Bloomington, Indiana, where they faced Indiana and Florida.

Texas split its four events over the weekend, topping Florida in both the long and short-course events and falling to Indiana in both competitions.

Sophomore Townley Haas and seniors Jack Conger and Clark Smith led the Longhorns throughout the weekend in their first collegiate event since the 2016 Summer Olympics; all three won gold in Rio. 

Conger swept the weekend’s butterfly events with wins in the 200-meter, 200-yard, 100-meter and 100-yard races. Haas picked up a win in the 200-meter freestyle on Friday, while Smith won the 400-meter freestyle and finished just ahead of Haas in first in the 500-yard freestyle. 

Texas’ US Olympians also gathered with sophomore Tate Jackson to end the day with a 400-meter freestyle relay victory at 3:22.84.

“It’s kind of nice to get back into the swing of things,” Smith said. “I know Rio kind of had our schedules out of whack, being really late at night. But to come back here and get back into the pool is pretty nice.”

Sophomore Casey Melzer also picked up a big win in a battle during the 200-meter breaststroke. He took home first place at 2:24.12, ahead of Indiana junior Cody Taylor.

The Longhorns return to the pool on Nov. 4 at home against North Carolina State.