After long season, Longhorns ready for Big 12 tournament

The Longhorns are set to play their biggest tournament of the season this weekend. 

Texas will square off against the eight other Big 12 teams for the conference title, and a spot in the NCAA tournament, beginning today at The Dominion Country Club in San Antonio.

The Longhorns come into the conference tournament after struggling to a seventh-place finish at the PING/ASU Invitational two weeks ago. Texas shot 27-over par, well back of first-place UCLA, who finished 12-under par.

But there is a bright spot for the Longhorns with Sophia Schubert. The sophomore has finished in the top four three times this season, including a fourth place finish at the PING/ASU invitational.

The Longhorns enters the tournament in the middle of the pack in the Big 12. Texas is currently ranked 30th in the latest Golfweek rankings and fifth in the conference. Oklahoma State is the highest-ranked Big 12 team at No. 9 while Iowa State, Texas Tech and TCU check in at No. 17, No. 25 and No. 27 respectively. All nine Big 12 teams are ranked inside the top 73.

Unlike the other tournaments the Longhorns have played this year, the teams will play 18 holes each of the three days on the par-72 course. Texas will start it’s run towards a potential conference title at 9 a.m..