Hossler named Ben Hogan Award semifinalist

Junior Beau Hossler was named a semifinalist for the 2016 Ben Hogan Award on Wednesday. The semifinalists were announced at Colonial Country Club by the Golf Coaches Association of America.

Hossler, the No. 1-ranked player in the country, is one of 10 semifinalists for this year’s award.

The Ben Hogan Award recognizes the top men’s player across college golf — including NCAA Division I, II and III, NAIA and NJCA — for his accomplishments the last 12 months.

Hossler boasts an NCAA Division 1-best five victories this season, with victories at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational, Arizona Intercollegiate, John A. Burns Intercollegiate, Lamkin San Diego Classic and the Augusta Invitational. The junior also won the Jones Cup Invitational, an amateur event, back in February. He has yet to finish outside the top-10 in a tournament this season.

Hossler boasts a 69.42 scoring average this year and has shot even or under par in 19 of 24 rounds. He is now second on Texas’ all-time single-season wins list, trailing only Ben Crenshaw’s seven victories in 1972.

The three finalists for the award will be announced May 3, and the winner will be announced on May 23 at the Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth.