Texas rowing prepares for five races in San Diego

No. 9 Texas rowing will head to Southern California to take place in the San Diego Crew Classic over the weekend.

The Longhorns, who swept San Diego and No. 16 Notre Dame in their spring opener, are among the many top schools participating in the regatta, which draws in clubs and schools from around the nation.

The toughest race for Texas will be the Jessop-Whittier Cup Invitational, the Varsity 8 race. They will go up against 9 other varsity squads, such as No. 2 California, No. 11 Washington State, No. 13 Wisconsin, No. 14 Southern California, and No. 18 Gonzaga. California will prove especially challenging, as they have claimed the runner-up spot in the National Championship the past three years.

The Longhorns will also face many of the same teams above, as well as several others, in four other races: the Varsity 4 race, the second Varsity 8 race, the Novice Laurel Korholtz Perpetual Trophy race, and the Women’s Open Carley Copely Cup race.

Head coach Dave O’Neill said experience can help the Longhorns this weekend. 

“[Last week] was just our first go-around and [the rowers] building on and having that experience, it’ll get better,” O’Neill said. “It’s all a process moving forward. We’re certainly looking toward NCAAs, so that’s the big one.” 

The matches will be key in getting Texas to the NCAA championship regatta, if they do not automatically qualify after the Big 12 Championship meet.

Texas will begin its first race, the Varsity 8 regatta, Saturday at 8:48 a.m.