Longhorns look to keep momentum up against BYU

The Longhorns will look to keep up the momentum from their win Wednesday night when they host Brigham Young University in the three-game series this weekend.

Junior pitcher Tiarra Davis rebounded Wednesday night after a rough weekend at Baylor. In 12.1 innings against the Bears, Davis gave up nine runs and threw two wild pitches. But she bounced back with just two runs given up and four strikeouts in a complete game win against Texas State.

The Longhorns will be without the services of freshman Christina Bardwell, who was suspended indefinitely Thursday for a violation of team rules. Bardwell was hitting .289 and had eight RBIs in 22 games this season.

Texas, however, won’t likely miss her presence on the field. Senior center fielder Lindsey Stephens leads the team with .419 batting average, nine doubles, six home runs and 23 RBIs.

BYU comes into the weekend with a 19-12 record and is led by junior second baseman Lauren Bell and freshman catcher Libby Sugg. Bell is currently hitting .412, while Sugg has hit 14 home runs and brought in 31 runs.

The Cougars, however, struggle in the circle. Junior pitcher McKenna Bull holds a 3.31 ERA and a .256 opponent’s batting average.

Game one of the series starts Friday at 5 p.m. while Saturday’s double-header will start at 6 p.m.