Report: Defensive backs coach Chris Vaughn let go by Texas

Defensive backs coach Chris Vaughn and the Longhorns have parted ways, per the athletics department.

Texas head coach Charlie Strong brought Vaughn on to his coaching staff on two years ago. Vaughn signed a two-year deal to coach the secondary for an annual base salary of $245,000. His two-year contract expired on Jan. 30, but it was speculated that Texas would resign Vaughn.

While at Texas, Vaughn has been one of the team’s best recruiters and has been in charge of developing the team’s young defensive backs. He also was the Longhorns’ special teams coordinator in the 2014 season.  

From 2008 to 2011, Vaughn was the defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Ole Miss, who is facing allegations from the NCAA. According to a report by ESPN, four of the violations against Ole Miss are involved with former members of the Rebels coaching staff under former head coach Houston Nutt. The Austin-American Statesman reported that Texas thought the NCAA has “a think file” on Vaughn about the Ole Miss allegations.

“Chris did a tremendous job for us,” Strong said in a statement. “He’s a terrific football coach and a great person. However, circumstances have put us in a position that we are going to part ways.”

A report by Horns247 said that those allegations are likely the reason Vaughn will not return next year.