Versatile athlete Humphrey commits to Texas

Three-star  athlete Lil’Jordan Humphrey made his decision where he would be playing college football two weeks ago but couldn’t announce his decision publicly until tonight on NBC Dallas-Fort Worth — where he chose the University of Texas.

“Great place,” Humphrey said on NBC Dallas-Fort Worth. “When I went down there on my official visit, I really bonded with the players [and] coaches and just knew it was home for me.”

Humphrey is listed as an athlete. He played both running back and wide receiver at Southlake Carroll High School, but he’ll likely be playing wide receiver for the Longhorns with his 6-foot-4-inch frame. He will be the fourth wide receiver to join this year’s class that includes Manvel’s Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, Temple’s Davion Curtis and early-enrollee Collin Johnson from California.

The versatile athlete said despite a tough recent history, things are looking up for the Longhorns.

“They had a little down period but you could see after last year they was really building to be something great and become the program they were before,” Humphrey said at his announcement. “And I’m really interested in being a part of that and making history again.”

With Humphrey’s decision, he is now the 15th commit in Texas’ 2016 recruiting class. Humphrey is ranked as the nation’s 23rd best athlete and third best athlete in the state of Texas, according to Scout.com.