Texas swimming and diving takes on Arizona

Texas swimming and diving will jump back into the competition, traveling to Tucson to take on Arizona this weekend.

Unlike the Lee and Joe Jamail Swimming Center, Tuscon provides an outdoor pool for its competition. Men’s head coach Eddie Reese said the outdoor meets give valuable information as to the team’s stance under tougher conditions.

“I remember one meet I didn’t let the guys get out of the bus while I went out and kicked all the ice off of the starting blocks,” Reese said. “It can be cold.  I just tell the guys, ‘Don’t let anyone know you’re cold. Just go out and swim and keep going.’”

Junior Clark Smith will lead the No. 1 Longhorn men’s team after taking down NCAA and American records in the 1,000 freestyle in last month’s Texas Invitational.

The No. 4 Texas women will be led by junior swimmer Madisyn Cox and senior diver Meghan Houston. The duo earned Big 12 Swimmer and Diver of the Week awards, respectively, following their performances in the USA Swimming Arena Pro Swim Series held in Austin two weeks ago.

The 7-2 Longhorns will compete in a two-day meet against the No. 14 Wildcats in one of their last outings before conference championships. The two-day dual meet will start with a traditional 16-event competition on Friday in Tuscon followed by an unscored competition on Saturday. Like the men, Arizona’s outdoor pool will be a change of scenery for the women’s squad.

“Arizona is a well-coached team and they’ve got some talent,” women’s head coach Carol Capitani said. “We only have two dual meets left, so now’s the time when you fine-tune and decide the last little pieces we need to work on before championship season.”