Vince Young to remain University employee

Former Texas quarterback Vince Young watches his old team take on West Virginia in 2012.

Update: Vince Young will remain a University employee, per a statement from the school. Young currently serves as a diversity and community engagement officer, and was arrested on a DWI charge late Sunday night. 

“Vince Young will continue to be an employee at The University of Texas at Austin,” said Gary Susswein, executive director of media relations and issue management, in a statement. “We are working directly with Mr. Young to address the issues related to this situation, as we would with any other employee.”

Young was hired by the University in 2014.

Original Story: The Longhorn Network has not said whether Young will retain his position as an analyst for the network.

Former Texas quarterback Vince Young was arrested on a DWI charge while driving on the 4600 block of the Interstate 35 service road Sunday night, according to an arrest affidavit.

Young, 32, was arrested at 11:16 p.m. The affidavit said Young pulled up to a red light on the I-35 service road at Sixth Street. Young’s car didn’t move until 10 seconds after the light turned green.

Young then drove between 25–30 mph on the service road before entering the highway near 15th Street, according to the affidavit. The officer noted Young drove between 42–60 mph on the highway while drifting in his lane. At one point, Young went up to 68 mph while drifting over the solid yellow line in the left lane.

The affidavit said Young smelled strongly of alcohol and his eyes were glassy. Young was booked into jail at 12:46 a.m. on Monday. Young has posted bail.

“I specifically want to apologize to the young men and women who look up to me as a role model and to my employers at the University of Texas and the Longhorn Network,” Young said in a statement.

Gregory J. Vincent, vice president for Diversity and Community Engagement, released a statement on Young’s arrest.

“We are aware of Vince Young’s situation and are working with UT’s human resources department to determine any appropriate action, given Mr. Young’s position with UT Austin and DDCE,” Vincent said.

Young, who led the Longhorns to the 2005 National Championship, currently serves as diversity and comunity engagement officer at UT.

“I understand the seriousness of the situation I am in and take full responsibility for not having met the standards of my own personal conduct,” Young said. “Thank you for everyone who has reached out to me for you love and support.”