Former Longhorn Drew Stubbs enters free agency

Former Longhorns outfielder Drew Stubbs is looking for a new place to call home. After his contract with the Texas Rangers expired following the 2015 season, Stubbs is now a free agent.

Stubbs had a stellar 2014 campaign with the Colorado Rockies, finishing with a career-high .289 batting average, 22 doubles, 15 homeruns and 20 stolen bases in 424 plate appearances.

However, Stubbs was unable to keep his performance up in 2015 as he hit for a dismal .216 batting average with only 22 hits and 10 RBIs in 51 games. His performance caused the Rockies to release Stubbs.

Stubbs was eventually picked up by the Rangers organization after he signed a minor league deal for Triple-A Round Rock Express. The Rangers called Stubbs up just before the postseason, but he compiled just two hits in 27 games. 

Despite his poor 2015 campaign, Stubbs should find a spot on an MLB roster due to his impressive speed. During his career, Stubbs has 152 steals in 182 attempts, making him an ideal pitch runner late in games.

Stubbs is also known for his defensive skills. Rangers’ manager Jeff Banister elected to use Stubbs as a defensive replacement numerous times during his time with Texas. In a game against the Detroit Tigers, Stubbs made a remarkable running catch to end the game and preserve the Rangers’ victory. Thad Levine, Texas Rangers assistant general manager, called Stubbs’ catch “one of the most memorable in recent history for the Rangers.”

For teams in need of outfield depth, Stubbs could provide a cheap option as a utility outfielder in the coming years.