Bedford confident in freshmen, recruiting

Texas defense undergoing youth movement

Defensive coordinator Vance Bedford said Wednesday that he hopes to play more freshmen as the season progresses.

“They’re going to be very good one day,” Bedford said. “They’re growing and getting better, and they’re going to play a lot of football for us this year.”

The Longhorns played their largest variety of freshmen during Saturday’s win against Kansas. Specifically, freshmen safety DeShon Elliott and defensive end Charles Omenihu played their first major stints this season. Additionally, freshmen mainstays in cornerback Holton Hill and linebacker Malik Jefferson continued to shine. Bedford said the freshmen class has earned its chance despite the players' inexperience.

“We’re playing all those guys for one reason,” Bedford said. “They’re all good players. They’re very young, but they’re all good players, and they’ve made plays for us this season."

Bedford confident about recruiting

The Longhorns have just nine players committed to their 2016 recruiting class, but Bedford isn’t worried about the early shortage.

“Why would I be?” Bedford said. “At this time [last year], the same questions were asked, and they got answered on signing day. They’re [going to] be answered again on signing day — one way or the other.”

According to 247Sports, Texas finished with the No. 9 recruiting class last February. Bedford emphasized that the program can only improve if the team replicates its recruiting success from last season. He said he thinks that goal is attainable and that the program is an easier sell this year.

“I think this year, because it’s our second season into it, we’re getting a lot better responses,” Bedford said. “I think word got out that [head coach Charlie Strong] cares about the kids. … And at the end of the day, I think the University of Texas sells itself.”