Norvell calls for improved passing game

Wide receivers coach and head play-caller Jay Norvell said Tuesday that he’s not satisfied with Texas’ passing game following the team’s 24-0 loss to Iowa State. The Longhorns threw for just 85 yards in the defeat.

“I’m very, very disappointed,” Norvell said. “We didn’t throw the ball accurately. We didn’t throw it on time. We didn’t make plays down the field. We all had a hand in it. … We have to learn from this.”

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard completed just six passes for 26 yards as the team’s starter. He said that he didn’t like what he saw when he watched film of his performance but can’t get too down about the team’s struggles.

“[Quarterbacks] coach [Shawn] Watson always tells me that the quarterback has to have the shortest memory out there,” Heard said. “Even if I threw a touchdown, I can’t get all happy. I got to keep fighting and keep throwing touchdowns. If I throw an interception, I can’t get down on it and let that be the result of the whole game.”

Texas now ranks No. 122 in both passing yardage and total passing attempts. The team is eager to rebound against a winless Kansas team that ranks in No. 127 in passing defense.

“I live for Saturday, so I want to get back out there,” Heard said. “It was just one of those games where it didn’t fall for you … We can’t [cry] because we have four more games.”