Texas finishes fourth in Betsy Rawls Invitational

The Longhorns continued to drop key putts and hit fairways in day two of the Betsy Rawls Invitational, resulting in a fourth-place finish with three players in the top 20. As Texas continued to show improvement, head coach Ryan Murphy said he felt good about his team’s progress.

“I was pleased with our result today,” Murphy said. “With the locations that we had out there today, that was a big round of golf and the best round of golf I’ve been a part of in women’s golf. It’s always nice to play well in front of the home crowd.”

Junior Julia Beck led the team at a total three-under-par for the tournament. She shot a five-under-par round of 67 Tuesday to finish in fourth place. 

“It started off pretty solid,” Beck said. “One bogey, six birdies total. I just felt like I have a lot more confidence and better course management.”

Sophomore Sophia Schubert finished tied for 10th after a total of two-over-par for 54 holes, and senior Tezira Abe dropped down the leaderboard after shooting five-over-par. Despite her struggles, Abe still managed to finish four-over-par and in 18th place.

Freshman Maddie Luitwieler finished tied for 35th at nine-over-par for the tournament, and Junior Haley Mills stayed tied for 65th after her six-over-par round to finish at a total of 20-over-par. Senior Natalie Karcher and junior Anne Hakula played as individuals in the tournament and finished tied for 42nd and 68th, respectively.

Kent State won the tournament five-under-par for a 54-hole total of 859, and coaches throughout the country – including Murphy – took notice. 

“They’re a top-five team in the country right now”, Murphy said.

Kent State beat out the competition by 8 strokes, with Texas Tech finishing in second and the University of Nevada - Las Vegas in third. Texas Tech sophomore Gabby Barker pulled off a victory over Kent State senior Taylor Kim and UNLV freshman Elizabeth Prior with a score of five-under-par to take individual first place. 

The Longhorns will head to Boulder Creek Golf Club in Las Vegas for their last tournament of the fall season. The Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown will run Sunday through Tuesday.