Former Texas kicker secures Baltimore win

Texas alum and current Baltimore Raven Justin Tucker won the battle of the kickers in Thursday night’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“In this league, most games come to three points,” head coach John Harbaugh said Thursday night following Tucker’s game-winning field goal.

Tucker connected on three field goals, all 40 yards or more, in the close battle against the Steelers. Steelers kicker Josh Scobee missed both of his attempts from 49 and 41 yards in the final 2:29 of the fourth quarter.

Tucker’s first kick, from 40 yards out with 10:14 remaining, brought the Ravens within three points of the Steelers. With only three seconds remaining in the game, Tucker then kept the Ravens alive with a 42-yard field goal to force overtime. As a result of the Steelers’ poor kicking game, the Ravens attempted two fourth-down conversions in overtime and set up Tucker’s 52-yard, game-winning field goal.

The former Longhorn is no stranger to making game-winning kicks. Tucker’s college career is best remembered for his game-winning field goal in the final game of the Texas vs. Texas A&M rivalry in 2011. Since he joined the Baltimore Ravens in 2012, Tucker has made eight game-winning kicks, one of which sailed 61 yards in 2013.