Austin Spurs finding themselves while the Stars are struggling

Austin Spurs

After a difficult start to the week, the Austin Spurs bounced back on Thursday night beating the Reno Bighorns, 112-104. 

Trailing at halftime 59-50, the Spurs stormed back in the third quarter outscoring the Bighorn, 37-25 and out rebounding Reno, 56-37.  This provided a lead they would hang on to. 

Jonathan Simmons scored 24 points for the Spurs as Kyle Anderson recorded his 11th double-double of the season with 17 points and 14 rebounds. 

Austin’s Orlando Johnson nearly finished with a triple double with 22 points, 10 rebounds, and 9 assists. 

Previously in the week, the Spurs’ nine-game win streak came to an end Tuesday losing to the Santa Cruz Warriors, 109-94. 

Five Warriors scored in double digits, led by Elliot Williams with 30 points, 8 assists, and 4 rebounds.

James Michael McAdoo, rookie out of North Carolina, broke out by scoring 29 points on 12 of 15 shooting, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks. 

Erik Murphy for the Spurs was outstanding with 31 points and 19 points and Johnson scored 21 points.  The Spurs, however, were trying to adjust after losing guard Bryce Cotton to a 10-day contract with the Utah Jazz.

Starting on Saturday, Feb. 28, the Spurs will begin their week of 6 games. 

Texas Stars

This week was even more difficult for the Texas Stars after losing forward Brendan Ranford to the Dallas Stars.  Goalies Jack Campbell and Henrik Kiviaho were sent to the Stars ECHL affiliate, Idaho Steelheads.       

Ranford will be a loss as he is fourth on the team in scoring with 13 goals and second on the team with 36 points (13 points and 23 assists).

Tuesday on the road against the Oklahoma City Barons, the Stars came up short losing in overtime 3-2. 

Just 1:39 into the game, the Stars scored quickly as Eric Failie was able to handle the pass in the neutral zone from Scott Valentine.

Julius Honka later scored his own goal at the 9:33 mark of the second period.  Brandon Davidson turned the game around as he helped get the Barons on the scoreboard before the half.       

Both offenses were quiet for the rest of the game until Jason Williams scored his 16th goal of the season for the Barons to tie the game in regulation.

Eventually, Andrew Miller’s wrist shot from the left circle was able to sneak past Jussi Rynnas to give the Barons the win.  

The Stars will return to the ice Friday and Saturday in Cedar Park to take on the Rockford Icehogs.