Texas Stars and Austin Spurs starting to find streaks

The Texas Stars, the minor league AHL team for the Dallas Stars, are still trying to find their legs to defend their AHL Calder Cup.  

Within the past week, the Stars have finished 2-2 going 2-1 against rivals San Antonio Rampage and losing to Oklahoma City Barons. 

The Stars faced the Rampage early last week and needed to gather the win as the Rampage sat seven points above the Stars in the West Division standings.  Ramgage goalie Dan Ellis who boasted a .923 save percentage in the contest while Stars rookie Gemel Smith scored four of his six goals this season against Ellis. 

But, this time around, the Stars could not be stopped as they cruised to a 6-1 victory.  After a tight first period, Cameron Gaunce’s score put the Stars on top 1-0.  They exploded in the second period with a four goal second period. 

Smith continued his success against the Rampage with two goals and Jamie Oleksiak led all skaters with three points (one goal, two assists). 

With the win, the Stars are just one point back of the eighth spot and two points behind for the No. 6 seed. 

However, in the next two weeks the Stars travel for a difficult six-game road stretch. 

In basketball, the San Antonio Spurs’ D-league team, the Austin Spurs finished on a good note before the All-Star break last week. 

Spurs rookie Kyle Anderson was named the D-League performer of the week as the team went 2-0 against Grand Rapids Drive while Anderson averaged 19 points, 11 rebounds, 5.5 assists, and 1.5 blocks. 

During this six-game win streak for the Spurs, JaMychal Green and Bryce Cotton were named to the D-League All-Star team for the Western Conference.  Along with them, Jarell Eddie competed in the three-point contest. 

The Spurs headed into All-Star break 22-9 and looking good to make a run into the playoffs.