Cedar Hill head coach offered open position on staff

Head coach Charlie Strong has offered Cedar Hill High School head coach Joey McGuire the open special teams/tight ends position, according to a report by Horns247 citing a source close to McGuire. Orangebloods was the first to report the connection.

McGuire has had quite the run in the high school football scene, racking up three state titles in 12 years in the highest classification, including back-to-back titles. In addition to his on field success, McGuire knows the Texas high school landscape and could help in recruiting—especially his own Damarkus Lodge. Lodge, a 6-foot-2 four-star WR, is one of the top receiving prospects in the nation who took a surprise visit to Austin last week after decommitting from the Aggies.

However, with McGuire’s son as a quarterback for Dallas area Cedar Hill High School, sources indicated to Horns247 that it would be tough to pry McGuire away from his son. They added that he has already turned down two college offers.

"Joey would be an absolutely tremendous addition to any college staff," Westlake head coach Todd Dodge told Horns247. "First, he's a damn good football coach. Two, he'll be a heck of a recruiter. He has that great personality. I think it would be awesome.