Big 12 Notebook: Week Nine

Nine weeks have passed since the start of this year’s college football season, and there is only one undefeated Big 12 team left.

No. 9 Kansas State stands atop the Big 12 Conference without a single loss in Big 12 play. A big part of why the Wildcats have been so successful is their quarterback, Jake Waters.

The defense is also formidable, coming off of a 23-0 shutout of the Longhorns last weekend in Manhattan. The Wildcats have allowed just 71 points to opposing teams, the least in the conference so far this year.

This coming week they’ll face another formidable foe, the Oklahoma State Cowboys. The Cowboys suffered a tough loss at home to the No. 20 Mountaineers, but could still pose a threat to the Wildcats.

Even though the Wildcats are on everybody’s radar at this point, the most interesting game of the week will not be played in Kansas. No. 7 TCU will travel to Morgantown to face the No. 20 West Virginia Mountaineers this Saturday in what will be a nationally televised contest.

West Virginia is quite possibly the best of the two-loss teams in the country. The Mountaineers’ only losses have come at the hands of Alabama and Oklahoma.

They’ll have their hands full this weekend with a TCU team that is first in the country in points per game. The Horned Frogs are coming off of a record setting 82-27 win over the Red Raiders in Fort Worth last weekend.

TCU, in my opinion, is one of the most explosive teams in the country. In the last two games, TCU quarterback Trevon Boykin has put up Bryce Petty type numbers. He’s passed for over 400 yards and a total of 10 touchdowns in his last two games.

I think that Boykin quite possibly has replaced Petty as the best QB in the Big 12 at this point in the season. He is currently one of two quarterbacks in the Big 12 to have passed for over 2000 yards and 20 touchdowns so far this season. The other is Texas Tech quarterback Davis Webb.

Either way, this weekend is critical for both Kansas State and TCU. Both teams face tough opponents in Oklahoma State and West Virginia. If they come out on top, next week’s matchup may well decide this year’s Big 12 champion.

Kansas State will play TCU in Fort Worth on November 8, a week from this Saturday. 

Here are this weekend’s games to watch:

1)    No. 7 TCU at No. 20 West Virginia – 2:30 p.m. (cst) ABC

2)    Oklahoma State at No. 9 Kansas State – 7 p.m. (cst) ABC