Texas Stars sweep weekend games, remain undefeated

The Texas Stars, Austin’s minor league hockey team, improved to 3-0-0 this weekend following wins against Oklahoma City and Utica.

Both games were close with the Stars winning by just a one goal margin each time, but the Dallas Stars' AHL affliliate was able to pull through each time. 

The Stars started out the weekend with a road game against the Oklahoma City Barons on Friday. Texas, who won 3-2, had a combined a team effort as three different players registered in the scoring column.

Texas took an early 2-0 lead at the end of the first period but saw their lead evaporate midway in the second period with two goals by Oklahoma City. Though, the Stars powered through, scoring towards the end of the second period and taking the lead for good at 3-2.

Jack Campbell and Jyrki Jokipakka highlighted Texas'. Campbell, the Stars’ goalie, had 37 saves against the Barons, while Jokipakka scored the winning goal for the Stars.

The Stars also won their second game of the weekend against the Utica Comets in Austin. Compared to their game against the Barons, Texas’ contest against the Comets was much more of a defensive thriller as the Stars outlasted Utica 1-0.

The Stars used an early third period goal by Travis Morin to break away for the win after neither team could put the puck in the back of the net during the first two periods.

Goalie Jack Campbell also played well for the Stars, saving all 29 attempts that came his way.

Up next for the Texas Stars is a home-and-home series against the Oklahoma City Barons this weekend. The Stars will play at the Barons on Friday and will conclude the weekend with a home game against Oklahoma City on Saturday.