New coach, talent gives Knicks chance to succeed

Despite the amount of talent on their roster year in and year out, the New York Knicks have continually underperformed every season. 

This year, the talent is once again there except they are operating under a new coach and system. Not to mention, Phil Jackson was hired as the new president of the organization and has complete control of all basketball moves.

This has amounted to a shake up of the Knicks roster to better fit Jackson’s triangle system. First order of business was to keep superstar Carmelo Anthony. But then came the surprising trade of Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to Dallas in exchange for Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Wayne Ellington, and Shane Larkin. Jackson also drafted Cleanthony Early, who very well may become the steal of this draft.

So all this plus J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert, Amar’e Stoudemire, and company leaves the Knicks with a talented roster. The question is, can they make the playoffs?

New head coach Derek Fisher may not have been the fan’s number one choice but they are stuck with him and the complex triangle offense.

The triangle offense has proved to be successful before under Jackson and company with the likes of Michael Jordan’s Bulls and Kobe Bryant’s Lakers. Knicks fans are hoping their very own Carmelo Anthony can replicate Jordan and Bryant’s roles in the complex system and lead the Knicks to a deep playoff push. But the key to this will be patience.

Not to say the preseason is indicative of the regular season, but the Knicks looked way out of sync committing 28 turnovers. Not a good start for a franchise whose fans have little to no patience for mediocrity. Yes, they understand Fisher is a rookie head coach and is trying to implement a new system but patience can only last so long.

The triangle can be a beautiful thing if executed correctly, so hopefully the players and fans give Jackson and FIsher a chance to really iron out what they have envisioned for the Knicks franchise.