Europe claims third straight Ryder Cup over the Americans

As the United States headed into the final round for the Ryder Cup today, it trailed Europe, 10-6.

However, despite a push from the Americans, Europe came out with its third straight Ryder Cup win.

Friday morning marked first matchup occurred between U.S. rookies Patrick Reed and Jordan Spieth as they were paired up against Gallacher and Ian Poulter.  Though, it came as a shock, that the rookies upset the Europeans.  For Poulter, this was the worst loss of his Ryder Cup career. 

Also for the Americans, veterans Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley went out and beat Rory McIlroy and Sergio Garcia.

Things were looking good for the U.S. as it led after the morning, 2.5-1.5.  However, U.S. captain Tom Watson decided to sit the hot young stars and put his trust in Mickelson and Bradley. 

That afternoon, the U.S. could not slow down the Europeans as they won 3.5-.5, ending the day with a 5-3 lead.

The U.S. led Saturday morning 2.5-1.5, cutting the European lead, 6.5-5.5.  Europe, once again, gained control in the afternoon, leading 3.5-.5. And, on Sunday, Watson put the trust in the rookies and Rickie Fowler sidelining Mickelson, Bradley, and Webb Simpson.

However, Sunday marked another win for Europe.  McIlroy earned the first point for Europe as he defeated Fowler to extend the lead 11-6.  After that, the Europeans cruised to victory.  Graeme McDowell came back to defeat Spieth, while Martin Kaymer beat Bubba Watson. 

The final blow to the U.S. came when Jamie Donaldson hit a 9-iron just 2 feet short on the 15th hole.  Europe finished with a score of 16.5-11.5.  Not only did Europe win its third straight Ryder Cup, they also won it for the 8th time out of the last 10 events.