Tweet on, sports fans: Mobile connectivity to improve at Darrel K Royal Stadium

AT&T has some good news for Longhorn fans as it has enhanced its mobile connectivity on the 40 Acres campus and at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

The wireless company recently completed a 4G LTE upgrade of its Distributed Antenna System (DAS) on campus and in DKR, leading to an “improved delivery of mobile content and more consistent download and upload data speeds,” AT&T said in a press release.

So what does this mean?

It means that your “Saban 2014” and “Put Swoopes in” tweets will now get delivered even faster and mom and dad can now receive your “I’m just gonna stay in tonight” texts even quicker as you leave to go to a party.

AT&T said that calls would become more reliable; the amount of traffic the network can hold will increase while improving network consistency.

How does it work?

The way the new DAS system works is simple. Let’s say Vince Young is watching his former team play on a Saturday night at DKR and wants to send a tweet. Without the DAS system, his text will get sent to the nearby cell tower, which is overloaded with fans telling their friends Vince Young is right in front of them. Young’s text won’t be able to go through and the twitter verse will never know what knowledge he meant to share.

With the DAS system, the stadium is divided into sections, each with a specific antenna to coordinate mobile activity. When Young sends his tweet, it will go to the nearest antenna and will get sent without any traffic clogging it up.

If you don’t go to football games, don’t worry! AT&T said the 4G LTE upgrade has been installed all around the campus and even the Frank Erwin Center. So with basketball season starting up, those “We need Kevin Durant back” tweets will be sent just as fast.