Texas in danger of completing its worst four-year stretch in Red River Rivalry history

The past three years against Oklahoma, particularly the last two, have been ugly for Texas.

If the Longhorns are blown out again at the Cotton Bowl, it could mark their worst four-year stretch in Red River Rivalry history. They have lost their last three games against the Sooners by a total of 88 points – their worst three-year stretch in series history.

Currently, Texas’ worst four-year stretch against its rivals to the north began in 2000, when it was demolished by Oklahoma, 63-14. The Sooners held a 42-0 lead 26 minutes into the game and cruised to seven-touchdown romp, sparking a five-game winning streak against the Longhorns.

Oklahoma won the first four of those five games by a whopping 123 points, beating Texas, 14-3, in 2001, 35-24 in 2002 and 65-13 in 2003.

That 123-point span of utter domination is unmatched by the Longhorns in the rivalry’s 113-history. Texas’ best four-year stretch in the Red River Rivalry was from 1960-63 – a span that helped the Longhorns win a Red River Rivalry-best eight consecutive contests.

The Longhorns topped the Sooners by a total of 69 points over those four years – 54 fewer than Oklahoma’s best four-year stretch. In fact, the Sooners have 11 better four-year stretches against Texas despite the fact that the Longhorns hold a 59-43-5 (.575) advantage all-time over the Sooners.

If Texas, already with lopsided losses to BYU and Ole Miss, falls to unbeaten Oklahoma for the fourth straight time, it guarantees the Longhorns at least their fourth-worst four-year stretch in the Red River Rivalry.

The Sooners not only are undefeated but have beaten a couple of good teams in Notre Dame and TCU to get there, even taking down the Fighting Irish in South Bend. They are favored by two touchdowns this weekend and for good reason.

And if the Longhorns don’t cover that 14-point spread, it will guarantee them at least their second-worst four-year Red River Rivalry stretch ever.

For Texas to make the last four years its worst against Oklahoma, however, it would have to get crushed by at least 36 points – which is not that far-fetched.

The Longhorns, who have lost their last two games against the Sooners by an average of 40 points, will be without arguably their best offensive and defensive players in quarterback David Ash and linebacker Jordan Hicks. 

Almost no one outside the Texas locker room expects it to beat Oklahoma this Saturday. But if this year’s Red River Rivalry gets out of hand, though, it could mean more than another embarrassing loss for the Longhorns – it could mean their most embarrassing four-year stretch in Red River Rivalry history.