Receiver Cayleb Jones elects to transfer

Sophomore wide receiver Cayleb Jones has elected to transfer, Texas announced Wednesday night. Jones, an Austin native who graduated from Austin High School, was given an unconditional release by Texas. 

"We've really enjoyed being a part of the Texas program," Robert Jones, Cayleb Jones' father, said in a press release Wednesday evening. "We've talked about the situation as a family and we think it's best for Cayleb to get a fresh start and transfer to another school." 

As a freshman in 2012, Jones played as a backup receiver in 11 games and finished the season with one 10-yard run and two receptions totaling 35 yards. 

"Cayleb is looking for a fresh start," Texas head coach Mack Brwon said in a press release Wednesday. "We understand that and are appreciative of everything he did for Texas. We will support him as he moves forward and wish him the best of luck in the future." 

Cayleb Jones was suspended in June after an incident in downtown Austin. Jones allegedly punched fellow Longhorn Joseph Swaysland, a tennis player who was dating Khat Bell, a volleyball player who had been in a previous relationship with Jones. Swaysland, a junior, had a fractured jaw. 

Jones was originally charged with felony assault, but the charge were dropped to a misdemeanor this spring. He was suspended indefinitely from the team, but when the charges were reduced, Jones was only suspended for the 2013 fall opener against New Mexico State.