Texas Tech players relating easily with new, young head coach Kliff Kingsbury

DALLAS – Kliff Kingsbury left Texas Tech in 2002 as the program’s all-time leading passer. In the 11 years since, Kingsbury was passed by Graham Harrell but was hired by his alma mater as head coach. At 33 years old, he is the youngest FBS head coach.

“We try to relate to our players to the way they think,” Kingsbury said. “Anything that can grab their attention is what we’re going to do, whether that’s a playlist at practice or a memo. We want to do things that grab their attention.”

Kingsbury did just that when he left his team a note a couple months ago advising his team to focus less on playing video games and more on preparing for the upcoming season.

“We advise you to be active over the break as you will need to be ready to work onc June rolls around,” the note began. “Sitting at the house playing COD/2K13/Madden against 12 year olds online doesn’t suffice as activity even if you claim to ‘wreck shop’. #BOOM #ComeAtMe #WreckEm”

His players took the note to heart.

“That’s the truth,” wide receiver Eric Ward said. “You’re hear to play football. You’re here to win football games. You can’t win football games by playing Call of Duty and doing irrelevant things that don’t contribute to your success on the football field. I’m 100 percent behind that statement.”

Defensive end Kerry Hyder admitted to spending a fair amount of time this offseason playing video games but acknowledged that he put in the necessary work as Kingsbury’s message hit home.

“It was just funny because you knew what guys were planning on doing for the whole break,” Hyder said. “It’s cool that he’s in tuned with what we’re ding. He knew what guys were planning on doing. It was a joke It was cool… He’s all about business and getting stuff done. Things have changed. It is more relaxed and more ‘swagged’ out but the discipline hasn’t changed. He’s in charge and he lets us know that.”