Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk sets lofty goals, doesn't back away from Heisman comments

DALLAS -- Lache Seastrunk ran into one of his boyhood heroes at Big 12 Media Days on Tuesday when Eddie George introduced himself to the Baylor running back.

“I’m not going to lie. I was [star]struck,” Seastrunk admitted. “I was stoked to meet Eddie George. I played with Eddie George on Madden 02 because his face was on there.”

Like George did in 1995, Seastrunk is aiming to win be the second Baylor player to win a Heisman Trophy in the last three seasons. Seastrunk exploded in the second half of last year for the Bears, running for 1,012 yards and seven touchdowns while averaging 7.7 yards per carry in 2012.

He has since guaranteed that he will win the Heisman in 2013 during an interview with Sporting News last December and confirmed that goal this week in Dallas.

“Why not?” Seastrunk said. “I feel like I’m the best player in the country, the fastest player in the country because I apply myself. I work hard. I just want to be great. Why not? Why be good when you can be great?”

George asked Seastrunk in the Omni Hotel hallway if he was shooting to run for 2,000 yards this season. Seastrunk expressed his confidence in his ability to reach that mark as well.

“I want to get close to Barry Sanders’ record,” Seastrunk said, referring to the former Oklahoma State running back’s single-season record of 2,628 rushing yards in 1988. “For my size, I’m probably supposed to be able to squat 500 pounds. I squat 720 pounds. Not a lot of running backs can do that and still be blazing fast and do everything they’re supposed to do. When I set goals, I achieve my goals.”

Along with Kansas State’s John Hubert, Seastrunk was named to the preseason All-Big 12 team. But he has his sights set on winning a Heisman Trophy, a feat once thought impossibly by a Baylor player. That was before Robert Griffin III amassed nearly 5,000 total yards while completing more than 70 percent of his passes and boasting a 37-6 touchdown-to-interception ratio en route to capturing the coveted stiff-armed trophy.

“You have to do phenomenal things in phenomenal moments and that’s what [Griffin] did,” Baylor head coach Art Briles said. “Lache has some qualities that give him an opportunity. He’s a dynamic football player that’s very engaging, and those are good qualitites to have. They help you with the voters. I’d much rather have players wanting to win the Heisman than clap for the one that does.”