Nate Boyer named Big 12 Sportsperson of the Year

Junior Nate Boyer was named a Big 12 Sportsperson of the Year for the 2012-2013 school year, the conference announced Monday. Boyer was named along with Kansas State's Whitney Pyle, a senior golfer. 

Boyer, who played as the Longhorns' deep snapper on PAT/FGs, is the third Longhorn football player and fourth Texas student-athlete to earn the award. Former Longhorns include soccer's Kylie Doniak (2011-2012), football's Sam Acho (2010-2011) and football's Ahmard Hall (2004-2005). 

The award is given to student-athletes who exhibited higher-than-average levels of sportsmanship and community service. Boyer, who is a former Green Beret, is still active with the Texas National Guard and is a Bronze Star recipient for his service.  

"He is a tremendous student-athlete who works extremely hard, is dedicated, committed and serves as a great leader for everyone in our program," Texas head coach Mack Brown said. "Nate sets a tremendous example for our guys and is a daily reminder of how our military personnel give so much to protect and provide us freedom. He is a great example for student-athletes across the country." 

Boyer was also named the 2012 Disney Spirit Award recipient, received the Armed Forces Merit Award last November, the Distinguished Young American Award from the National Football Foundation Austin Chapter and was named as a member of the Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium Veterans Committee.