Texas blanks Texas Southern in doubleheader

The Longhorns blanked Texas Southern in a doubleheader sweep Saturday. The Texas pitching staff combined for a no-hitter in a 4-0 Game 1 victory before the offense took over in a 12-0 Game 2 victory later in the afternoon.

Sophomore Parker French started on the mound in Game 1 and threw three innings before freshman Travis Duke came in with two innings of relief. Junior Corey Knebel recorded his ninth save with four strikeouts across two innings in the shortened seven inning game. Texas gave up no hits across seven innings.

The Texas offense registered 11 hits with four runs in the first game of the doubleheader. Four Longhorns each registered two hits on the afternoon with junior Ty Marlow going 1-for-2 with two RBI.

The Longhorns continued in game two with 12 hits highlighted by a seven run second inning. Seven runs is the most runs scored in a single inning so far this season for the Longhorns.  Freshman Taylor Stell headlined with two RBI and a 3-for-4 effort. Brooks Marlow, Mark Payton and Jeremy Montalbano each contributed two RBI to the Longhorn’s offensive production.

On the mound, the Texas pitching staff surrendered only one hit across the nine inning game. Dillon Peters threw three as the starter with only one it. Nathan Thornhill threw four in relief before Josh Urban came in to close in the eighth.

The Longhorns head to TCU on Thursday for a three game series to conclude the 2013 season. Currently the Longhorns are sitting last in the Big 12. With a sweep of TCU this weekend, the Longhorns would move to 9-15 in conference play with a chance to qualify for the Big 12 tournament at the end of May in Oklahoma City.