Longhorns sign guard Martez Walker, giving them four Class of 2013 signees

The Longhorns signed Pershing (Detroit, Mich.) guard Martez Walker to a letter of intent, Texas announced Thursday.

Walker, a three-star prospect, according to rivals.com becomes the fourth player to sign with the Longhorns this year, joining fellow guards Demarcus Croaker, Isaiah Taylor and Kendal Yancy. Walker averaged 20.4 points and seven rebounds per game as a senior last season, earning a spot on the Detroit Free Press Class A All-State First Team. Pershing went 46-4 over the past two seasons, including a 22-0 record in conference play and a 25-1 mark last year, when Walker led the Doughboys to the Michigan Class A state quarterfinals.

"Martez is an unorthodox player who has a knack for scoring," head coach Rick Barnes said. "The thing that gives him a chance to be really good at our level is his competitive nature. Like most young guys, he'll have to get stronger. When he does, his ability to score the basketball along with his mental toughness and passion to compete will allow him to be very successful."

Three of Texas' five sophomores from last season have since left the program, with Myck Kabongo declaring for the NBA Draft and Sheldon McClellan and Jaylen Bond electing to transfer. Jonathan Holmes and Julien Lewis, who also contemplated transferring, are the only two rising juniors on the Longhorns' roster, which included six freshmen on scholarship last season. Texas will be a young team again next season and may need some of its four freshmen (Walker, Croaker, Taylor and Yancy) to contribute immediately.

"When you take a look at this four-player class as a whole, we obviously made a concerted effort to improve our skill and athleticism on the perimeter," Barnes said. "We also believe we've added some natural scoring ability to our team. Our staff is excited to begin working with these four young men on campus this summer and see them mesh with our returning players, who have really worked hard and improved this spring."