NBA Playoffs: Warriors working their postseason magic once again

External, unseen forces aren’t usually at work during NBA basketball games, but the Golden State Warriors appear to have become the exception to that.

The days of Sleepy Floyd putting up 50 points against Magic Johnson and the Lakers are far behind us. The RUN TMC era that Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullen created is pretty far removed from us as well. Even the Warriors' last magical run in the playoffs when they beat top-seeded Dallas Mavericks as an eighth seeded team happened in 2007. Though your memory might tell you otherwise, that series was actually seven years ago.

But the Warriors are back, and it looks like they brought some of that playoff magic with them.

And as crazy as it seems for assuming the Warriors have some sort of playoff aura around them, it’s kind of hard to argue with the way history looks.

Don’t get me wrong, Stephen Curry is on an incredible streak and may be cementing himself as one of the best players in the league, and at the very least, he’s proven he is the best shooter in the game of basketball. But, I don’t want to be the one to deny that some sort of playoff magic is helping the Warriors. And this has been going on for years.

This isn’t simply an acknowledgement of a few major events in playoff history. The Warriors only title was in 1975 when a Rick Barry-led squad swept the Washington Bullets. What shouldn’t come as a surprise to you, however, is that the '75 Warriors were considered heavily as the underdogs. Many people in the basketball world actually believe the '75 Warriors performed the biggest upset in NBA history. This isn’t a new occurrence, this is just who the Golden State Warriors are.

And that brings us back to this team. The Stephen Curry led Warriors are one home game away from advancing to the second round and they’ve already made sure to leave a few lasting memories. 

Stephen Curry did his best impersonation of Davidson Stephen Curry and threw in 22 points in the third quarter of game four against the Nuggets. And in game five the Warriors almost came back from a 27 point deficit.

The way history has shaped already, it’s looking fairly grim for the Denver Nuggets to make it out of the first round. With a notably weaker team after the loss of Danilo Gallinari as well, the stage looks perfectly set for the Golden State Warriors to add another chapter to their compilation of playoff stories.