Texas WR Marquise Goodwin picked by the Buffalo Bills in the third round of the NFL Draft

Former Longhorns wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the third round of the NFL Draft on Friday night, the second Texas player to be picked this year after safety Kenny Vaccaro was picked by the New Orleans Saints with the No. 15 pick of the draft Thursday.

Buffalo, who had used its first-round pick to take Florida State's E.J. Manuel, the first quarterback off the board at No. 16, drafted USC wide receiver Robert Woods in the second round before taking Goodwin in the third. The speedy wideout made just 26 catches for 340 yards and three touchdowns last season but wowed scouts with a 4.27-second 40-yard dash at this year's NFL Combine -- the fastest-ever by a receiver.

Goodwin was on both the Texas football and track teams, finishing 10th at the 2012 Olympic Games in the long jump. Now he'll focus on football as a member of the Bills, who had the 25th-ranked passing game in the NFL last year.

"Marquise, in my opinion, has his best football ahead of him," Texas head coach Mack Brown said. "He was such a star in track-winning the World Games in the long jump, being an Olympian, which was a goal of his and we sure didn't want to get in the way. But because of that, he was never in a spring practice, and he was never around in the summer. He has tremendous skills-leaping ability, speed, and hand-eye coordination. He his tough and can be a kick returner as well. We think he has a great up side and someone will be lucky to get him."

Goodwin will be the third former Longhorn in Buffalo, joining cornerback Aaron Williams, the last Texas player to be drafted by the Bills when they selected him in the second round of the 2011 draft, and offensive guard David Snow, who signed with the team as an undrafted free agent last year. Buffalo's selection of Goodwin marks the sixth time a Longhorns wide receiver has been drafted since Brown was hired as Texas' head coach. Wayne McGarity (4th round, Dallas Cowboys, 1999), Roy Williams (first round, Detroit Lions, 2004), Sloan Thomas (seventh round, Houston Texans, 2004), Limas Sweed (second round, Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008) and Jordan Shipley (third round, Cincinnati Bengals, 2010) were the other five Brown-coached Texas wideouts drafted.