Texas drills West Virginia for 12-0 Game 2 win Saturday afternoon

In a complete turnaround performance, the Longhornss blanked the Mountaineers, 12-0 in Game 2 to even the series and force a rubber match for Sunday afternoon. Juniors Ty Marlow and Jacob Felts led the offensive with four RBIss each.

The Longhorns celebrated the 30th anniversary of the 1983 championship team and were joined at Disch-Falk Field by former Longhorn greats,, including Roger Clemens and former Texas head coach Cliff Gustafson.

Felts hit his first home run of the season, and only his second as a Longhorn, a three-run shot into the visitors bullpen in left field. The four RBIs were career highs for both Marlow and Felts. The game was scoreless through the first three innings until Marlow double to center field to plate junior Mark Payton and freshman C.J Hinojosa.

“In the first three, they looked exactly the same as before. We were in the same run, Texas head coach Augie Garrido said. “Then all of a sudden, the fourth inning took place and it looked like a Longhorn Baseball team – the one we’ve seen several times in practice. That’s why the journey has been difficult to understand and why I’ve said we’re so close.”

Even though the Longhorns (21-16, 5-9) were missing junior Erich Weiss at the plate due to an injury sustained Friday night, the Texas offense combined for 12 runs off 14 hits and no errors. Brooks Marlow, Collin Shaw, Payton and Hinojosa each contributed one RBI a piece in the performance.

Payton pushed his average above .400 to .402 with a 3-for-4 afternoon with three runs scored to complement his RBI. The junior also logged his sixth outfield assist with a bullet to third base from right field.

Sophomore Dillon Peters started on the mound for the Longhorns and pitched eight shutout innings. Peters allowed only four hits on the afternoon and has allowed only one run in his last three starts. His 1.80 ERA this season and 0.98 Big 12 ERA in Big 12 play lead the team. Freshman Travis Duke came in for the Longhorns and retired the side to finish the game.

“I am getting more and more confident with my routine,” Peters said. “I’ve been working out midweek and making sure I’m not missing bullpens or long toss. It’s carrying over and I’m going to keep doing what I’ve been doing to try and ride this as long as I can.”

The Longhorns will be looking for their first Big 12 series win in Game 3 Sunday afternoon at 12 PM