Bruins clinch playoff spot in emotional first pro sports game in Boston since marathon attack

“We are Boston. We are Strong.” Those were the words projected on the center ice screen during the emotional pregame ceremony in Boston Wednesday night.

It was an emotional night in the city as the Boston Bruins hosted the Buffalo Sabres in what was the first professional sports game in the city since the tragic events occurred at the Boston Marathon last Monday.

Although the Bruins lost the game in a shootout, they gained a point which clinched them a playoff berth as they are now tied with Montreal atop the Northeast Division.

The night was more than just a hockey game, however. It was a tribute to all of those affected by the events on “Marathon Monday”.

The night started with a moment of silence and then tribute video of the Boston Marathon. Tears came when Boston favorite Rene Rancourt, who was singing the National Anthem, let the audience take over singing and all 17,565 in attendance loudly sang the Star-Spangled Banner followed by a U.S.A. chant.

At the end of the game, both teams met at center ice with sticks raised in a salute to the crowd in Boston.

Instead of remembering a somewhat disappointing overtime loss for the Bruins, the city of Boston will remember the game for its inspiration and devotion.