Texas point guard Myck Kabongo declares for NBA Draft

Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo discusses his decision to forego his final two years of eligiblity at Texas and declare for the NBA Draft on Friday.

Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo has declared for the NBA Draft, Texas announced Friday morning.

He started 45 games over two seasons with the Longhorns, averaging 10.8 points, 5.3 assists and 32.2 minutes per game while shooting 40 percent from the floor, 31.1 percent from three-point range and 71.5 percent from the free-throw line during his Texas career.

"In life, you have to make tough decisions and this is probably one of the toughest decisions I'll ever have to make," Kabongo said. "I talked to God and to my mom, and they were really the only people I needed to talk to about it. I'm just excited for this next stage in life."

Before the team banquet Thursday night, head coach Rick Barnes admitted that he went into this season expecting it to be Kabongo's last at Texas.

"Our whole feeling was, in his mind, he wanted this to be his last year," Barnes said. "He might be decided. Who knows? He might have decided a long time ago."

Kabongo was suspended for 23 games by the NCAA this year for accepting impermissible benefits during the offseason, reportedly from an agent for a trip to Cleveland to workout with former Longhorns forward Tristan Thompson, and for lying about it to school officials.

"It was the darkest stage of my life a couple months ago," Kabongo said. "I didn't think I was breaking any rules. I should have been more truthful with our school's compliance. That was a mistake. A big mistake. But I corrected myself. I was happy that I was very truthful with the NCAA."

He earned team MVP honors despite playing just 11 games last season. Kabongo averaged 14.6 points, 5.5 assists, 5.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals in 37.3 minutes per game this year.

Texas went 10-13 without Kabongo and 6-5 with him, failing to reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 15 years under Rick Barnes. The Longhorns lost to Houston in the first round of the CBI last month.

Kabongo's decision to forego his final two years of eligibility comes on the heels of the departure of two of his Longhorns teammates. The 6-foot-1, 180-pounder from Toronto joins fellow sophomores Sheldon McClellan and Jaylen Bond as those leaving the Texas program after two years.

McClellan, the team's leading scorer, and Bond both announced their intentions to transfer last month.