Rangers rookie Nick Tepesch impressive in MLB debut

A year ago, Nick Tepesch made his debut for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, the high-A affiliate for the Texas Rangers. Last Thursday, he was the Opening Day starter for the Round Rock Express, biding his time and tuning up for his major league debut that would come a week later after he won the Ranger’s fifth and final rotation spot in Spring Training.

He looked sharp at the Dell Diamond facing the Omaha Storm Chasers, surrendering five hits over five innings, giving up one unearned run and striking out five. After the start, he sounded like a kid ready for the spotlight of the big leagues.

“I feel confident,” Tepesch said. “I can command all my pitches and keep doing what I’m doing and trying to get better every day. I’ll just stick to my gameplan no matter whose up at the plate and stick to what I do.”

Apparently, sticking to what he does is going to be A-OK. Tepesch made his Major League debut Tuesday night against the Tampa Bay Rays and threw 7 1/3 innings of four-hit, one-run baseball. The Rangers won the game, 6-1, giving Tepesch his first Major League win and making the night one he won’t soon forget.

From Myrtle Beach to Arlington in 365 days, the ascent of Tepesch has been quite astonishing. His crashing of the big league party this week suggests he belongs.

Tepesch’s next scheduled start is Sunday in Seattle.