Fantasy baseball: What we learned from the opening week of MLB play

With most teams just about a week into regular season play it may be a little bit early to start making assumptions and start throwing labels on players.

Nonetheless, there is still a lot of fantasy baseball knowledge that can be taken from the first week of the season and here are a few of the things that all fantasy players
should consider:

First off we learned that while starting pitchers are hit or miss, they could also make or break the outcome of your games. I’m not sure if you took my advice from a previous blog post and pulled the trigger on drafting Clayton Kershaw, but if you did I’m sure you are quite pleased. On the other hand, if you took my advice and drafted Justin Verlander or Stephen Strasburg then you are probably not as pleased, and this illustrates my point perfectly.

Pitchers do not have the same opportunity as hitters do to work themselves out of a slump, because they only play every five days and a win or loss for them can be heavily dictated by the run support they receive from the rest of their team. The bottom line is you need to keep a close eye on the performance of your pitchers, if they are struggling then do not be afraid to sit them and look for other options.

Second, we learned that drafting a star player that switched teams in the off-season could be quite risky. Josh Hamilton is a prime example of that, in his first seven games he has struggled from the plate hitting for an average of just .160 and recording just four hits and two RBIs in 25 at bats. I’m sure that Hamilton will turn it around, but do not be surprised if he has a shaky adjustment period as he learns to coexist with his new team, full of star power and big bats. Hamilton is not the only star to switch teams and struggle immediately, take for instance his new teammate Albert Pujols, who struggled in his first few months after signing with the Angels a year ago.

Lastly and most importantly, we learned that it is way too early to really judge the potential of anyone’s fantasy team at this point in the season. New stars will emerge out of nowhere, current stars will fade, players will get injured, creating opportunities for lesser known players to shine and all of that unpredictability is why we love to play fantasy baseball. Before you start bragging about how you are going to dominate all season or before you say you are already done with fantasy baseball this season, just remember that it’s not all about how you draft, it’s also about the intelligence of the moves you make throughout the entire year.