Carmelo Anthony comes through when Knicks needed him most as he chases his first ring

Carmelo Anthony is one of two players from the top five picks of the 2003 NBA draft who hasn’t won a championship yet. The other is Darko Milicic. However, the other three players only won a title because they joined forces together (LeBron, Wade, Bosh), but that’s for another story.

Carmelo Anthony at this point in his career hasn’t been much other than a ball-dominant, high-volume shooter who can score the ball at will. He had his run-ins with Coach George Karl in Denver, and after being shipped off to New York, hyperbole said that the one-time collegiate national champion would
maybe get it together and be a part of a winning formula in New York.

This season the Knicks have been hit with injuries, and don’t have much of a chance at getting out of the Eastern Conference. New York probably won’t see the outside of the Eastern Conference for the next decade as long as Miami is still around.

But regardless of all of that, Carmelo Anthony is continuing to do what he has made a living off of, and he’s doing it at as high a level as ever.

Carmelo Anthony is a close friend of Kobe Bryant's, and he notably came out of the Kobe Bryant academy of chucking shots and scoring.

In Tuesday night’s nationally televised game in Miami, Melo did what he’s only done three other times in his career: drop 50.

It’s actually pretty surprising to me that Melo has so few 50-point performances, but Monday night’s was definitely enough to be pleased. Carmelo played mainly in the flow of the offense without forcing too many looks, and it shows in his stat line. Oh, and the guy had zero turnovers.

Carmelo shot 18-for-26 from the floor, and added a 7-for-10 from the three point shooting effort that might even make Stephen Curry blush a little bit. More incredible is the fact that Carmelo was shooting jumpers the entire night, and added more highlights to his resume that might cement his reputation as the best
mid-range scorer in the league.

Carmelo Anthony may never lead a team to an NBA championship, and he may never actually win one unless he’s surrounded by the perfect group to compliment his ball-dominant style of play. But Carmelo’s performance Monday was a very pleasant reminder of how talented the kid from the 2003
draft class really is.