2014 LB Reggie Long: If Texas offers me, I’ll commit on the spot

Reggie Long, like dozens of hopeful high school football players from around the state and country, attended Texas' annual Orange-White Scrimmage this past weekend. 

The Whitehouse junior linebacker liked what he saw. Head coach Mack Brown and defensive coordinator Manny Diaz have liked what they've seen on film of Long, who does not currently hold any scholarship offers.

But if Texas ever does offer Long, a 6-foot, 212-pound Class of 2014 prospect, he says he wouldn't think twice before accepting the offer and pledging to play for the Longhorns. And there's no other program he can say that about.  

"It'd be something big," Long said of the possibility of Texas offering him. "I've talked to their coaches for quite some time. Texas just started showing interest, which is kind of shocking... It'd be like a dream come true. It would be awesome if they offered."

Long has drawn interest from a lot of schools, including LSU, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, TCU and Texas A&M, among others, including Mississippi State, where he says he's currently leaning towards and where Diaz was the defensive coordinator two seasons ago.

"Coach Brown was saying that he enjoyed my film and that I would be a good asset to the football team," Long said. "Coach Diaz said that he enjoyed it and he wants me down for a camp."

Long says he does indeed plan on going to that Longhorns camp. When he went to the Rivals camp last month, he felt good about his performance. 

"I think I actually stack up as one of the best [linebackers] in the nation," Long said. "I went to a camp and I think I was the best linebacker there [at the Rivals camp]."

Texas currently has 11 players committed for the Class of 2014, nearly as many as the 15 Class of 2013 prospects that signed this year. Dallas Carter's Cameron Hampton is the only junior that has pledged to play for the Longhorns. 

Still waiting on his first offer, Long would become the second if Texas offers him.