More from Day 2 at the Texas Relays

The long distance runners were the stars of the second day of the 2013 Texas Relays. Not only did the long distance runners take the first five spots in the 10,000 meter run, but they also set an important mark in the 3,000 meter steeplechase.  

The 10,000 meter run, which was the first running of the event at the Texas Relays, was ruled by those wearing burnt orange. First place went to junior Ryan Dohner (29:34.34), second to sophomore Craig Lutz (29:39.22), third to freshman Daniel Vertiz (29:55.62), fourth to senior Rory Tunningley (30:07.35) and fifth to sophomore Mark Pinales (30:08.09). The depth of the long distance runners really showed throughout the meet.

“The guys did really good this year," Dohner said, “I don’t think we’ve ever had that many guys so close to each other in terms of fitness.”

The 4x800 team, comprised of a trio of seniors — Kyle Merber, Trevor Van Ackeren, and Patrick McGregor — and sophomore Kyle Thompson clocked in at 7:29.51, beating out Texas A&M for the win in their event. The Longhorns and Aggies separated themselves from the rest of the pack in the final laps, beating out Kansas and the rest of the field by six seconds.

While a victory eluded him, senior Austin Bussing finished second in the 3000 meter steeplechase with a time of 8:52.05. He wasn’t the only Texas runner in the top ten, as Austin Roth came home with fifth place and John McNamara ended up in eighth. Bussing’s time was not only a personal best, but also good enough for third best in the country.

Senior Isaac Murphy had a great start to the final half of the decathlon, taking fourth in the 400 meter hurdles and following it up with a second place finish in the discus, but finished third in the standings when the day came to an end. Junior Jake Wohlford, who also competed in the decathlon, wound up in 14th place.

Freshman Johannes Hock made a short cameo at the meet, throwing the javelin 62.34m on his first attempt, but passed on all other attempts. The toss was good enough for fourth place. John Trucilla earned 11th in the same event.

Also competing in the tossing events today were senior Hayden Baillio, junior Clint Harris and sophomore Black Jakobsson. They were less than stellar in the hammer throw, with Baillio in 12th and Harris in 13th. Jakobsson fouled his three attempts, meaning he went scoreless.