Isaac Murphy finishes decathlon campaign with third-place finish

Texas Relays action kicked off Thursday with the second half of the decathlon. Senior Isaac Murphy had a great start, taking fourth  place in the 400-meter hurdles and following that up with a second place finish in the discus, but finished third in the standings when all was said and done.

Curtis Beach of Duke and Murphy stayed neck-and-neck through the first seven events in the decathlon, but Murphy was unable to overcome a 137-point gap that Beach created with a win the pole vault.

Although Beach — and Murphy — showed some weaknesses in the javelin that allowed Romain Martin to leapfrog them into first place, the lead over Murphy once again exploded into 253 points after Beach’s best event — the 1500 meter run.

Part of the blame for the performance has to go to the layoff Murphy experienced in the indoor season due to his expired eligibility.

“I’m not as sharp as I was last year at this time, but that’s the plan; I want to be sharp in June.” Murphy said, “I’ve got a long time to go back to the chalkboard and work."

Though he could be forgiven for moping around after falling into third and failing to repeat as Texas Relays decathlon champion, Murphy is pleased with his performance with in the event.

“I feel good. I got a score that will get me into nationals.” Murphy said, “[I can] keep on moving with my season. I feel great

Junior Jake Wohlford, who also competed in the decathlon, wound up in 14th place.