Wide receiver Cayleb Jones suspended after aggravated assault arrest

Cayleb Jones makes one of the two catches he recorded last season, this one a 23-yarder in a win over Iowa State last November. Jones was suspended following after being arrested and charged with aggravated assault.

Rising sophomore wide receiver Cayleb Jones has been suspended after being charged with aggravated assault, according to multiple reports.

HornsNation reported that Jones was charged with assaulting Joey Swaysland, a sophomore tennis player at Texas, and fracturing his jaw at a bar downtown on Feb. 22 at 1:50 a.m. Jones and volleyball player Khat Bell had dated but the relationship apparently did not end well and Bell, according to court documents, said Jones became angry and jealous when she began talking to Swaysland.

In Texas, someone convicted of aggravated assault, a second-degree felony, can serve a maximum of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

"We are aware of Cayleb's situation and disappointed any time one of our players is accused of wrongdoing," head coach Mack Brown said in a statement released Tuesday. "We have talked with Cayleb and his family, and he has been suspended from all team activities pending the completion of the legal process. Any further action will be handled at the conclusion of the legal process."

He becomes the fourth Texas football player to get in trouble with the law in the last four months. Case McCoy and Jordan Hicks were arrested Dec. 28, a day before the Longhorns' Alamo Bowl win over Oregon State, on allegations of sexually assaulting a woman in San Antonio. No charges were filed against McCoy and Hicks. Connor Brewer was arrested for public intoxication Feb. 3. A warrant has been issued for Jones' arrest.

Before this incident, Jones was a leading candidate to replace Marquise Goodwin as the Longhorns' third starting wide receiver behind Mike Davis and Jaxon Shipley. A 6-foot, 200-pound wideout from Austin High, Jones made two catches for 25 yards last season.

This article was edited after its original posting. No charges were filed against Hicks and McCoy. Jones has not been arrested. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.