Karen Aston lands pair from two-time defending state champion Duncanville backcourt

On Saturday, Duncanville juniors Ariel Atkins and Tasia Foman led their team to its second straight Class 5A state girls’ basketball title. On Sunday, they both verbally committed to the Longhorns.

The two guards make up the starting backcourt for a Duncanville team that finished a perfect 42-0 and throttled Cibolo Steele, 59-36, in the championship game at the Erwin Center. The Pantherettes have won an astounding 70 games in a row.

Atkins, the team’s leading scorer, is ranked as the No. 10 shooting guard in the nation for the Class of 2014, according to ESPN, and received offers from Baylor, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, among others. Foman is the No. 37-ranked point guard in the country.

At 5-foot-11, Atkins is versatile enough to play all five positions. She averaged 16.1 points, 5.7 steals and 4.6 assists this season. Foman, who chose Texas over SMU and New Mexico, added 11.2 points, 4.2 steals and 3.9 assists. Both were named to the UIL All-Tournament team for their performances this past weekend.

The two will join the Texas program beginning with the 2014-2015 season in hopes that their overwhelming success in high school will translate to the college game. State powerhouse Duncanville is becoming a bit of a pipeline for the Longhorns. There is already a pair of former Duncanville players on the Texas roster in Empress Davenport and Ashley Roberts.