Cleveland under new management: What does that mean for Colt McCoy’s future?

Colt McCoy flees from a Titans lineman during the 2012-2013 season. His future in the NFL remains unclear at this point.

Entering the fifth week of the offseason, NFL rosters already have had some significant changes. Atlanta released three former Pro Bowl players in Dunta Robinson, John Abraham and Michael Turner, and Kansas City has already called dibs on Alex Smith to come and compete for the quarterback position under newly hired Andy Reid. But not all changes have occurred on the roster.

The Cleveland Browns coaching and managerial staff has been broken down and rebuilt since Jimmy Haslam purchased the franchise last October. Mike Holmgren retired from the team presidency while general manager Tom Heckert and head coach Pat Shurmur were fired.

Since then the front office hired Michael Lombardi as vice president of player personnel and named Rob Chudzinski head coach, Norv Turner offensive coordinator and Ray Horton defensive coordinator.

After going 23-57 in the past five seasons, it seems obvious that some changes need to be made. But what does this mean for the roster?

With the large struggles the team has had both offensively and defensively, the new staff will have to figure out which players will best fit their system in an effort to turn the organization around.

So what will become of Colt McCoy?

The name that hangs from the Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in architectural eternity has almost been completely forgotten in the NFL. Ever since his concussion-filled career sent him to the bench, he has yet to break through as a starter in competition with Brandon Weeden.

Weeden struggled in his first season at the helm, but will the UT all-time passer have a chance to compete in a Norv Turner-style offense? The real question may be whether or not McCoy will still be around when training camp begins.

Trade rumors circulated around McCoy at the beginning of the 2012 season, but with the available market they may decide to keep him around. 

With limited quarterback talent in this year’s draft, it is likely that the Browns will address other needs with their sixth overall pick. With Jason Campbell and Matt Moore as the plausible available free agents (there’s no way the Ravens are letting Joe Flacco go), they don’t seem to be players that could take the job from Weeden, either.

With the managerial and coaching staff only a month into their new positions, there is little clarity in what plans they have for the quarterback position.

McCoy may just end up getting another shot in Cleveland. If not, he can always rely on his Dunkin’ Donuts stores for his revenue.