Longhorns at the NFL combine: Marquise Goodwin helps draft stock with a 4.27-second 40-yard dash

After missing practice time to participate in the 2012 Summer OIympics and enjoying a productive senior season, wide receiver Marquise Goodwin now hopes to be selected in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Of the eight draft-eligible players from the University of Texas, only three participated in the NFL combine: Marquise Goodwin, Alex Okafor and Kenny Vaccaro. While Goodwin and Vaccaro turned out top performances in the combine workouts, all three are projected to be taken in the NFL draft by NFL.com.

Goodwin finished second in the broad jump at 132 inches and recorded the best 40-yard dash time at 4.27 seconds, just .03 seconds off the record set by Chris Johnson in 2008. Goodwin’s athleticism comes as little surprise after his success as a track and field athlete brought him three NCAA outdoor long jump titles and a trip to London for the Olympics. NFL organizations will not pass on the opportunity to acquire the fastest 40 in the draft, but with no major success as a wide receiver, there is little guarantee Goodwin will be selected in the early rounds.

Okafor participated exclusively in the bench press workout, putting up 21 reps of 225 pounds. Although he finished 17 reps short of the top performer Margus Hunt, Okafor is still a high-round pick, with first-team All-Big 12 (2011) and 4.5 sacks in the Alamo Bowl on his resumé.

Vaccaro recorded the best 20-yard shuttle time in 4.06 seconds and finished twelfth among safeties in the forty at 4.63 seconds. Vaccaro was a draft prospect a year ago, but after returning for his senior season he has established himself as a potential top 10 pick and perhaps the first safety selected.

With the Longhorns’ Pro Day coming up on March 26, these players will have one more opportunity to turn heads and have their names read out earlier in the Radio City Music Hall come April.