Big 12, big money

There is no doubt that money makes the world go round and the Big 12 has clearly embraced this philosophy.

Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby made a very interesting proposal in suggesting that the conference could seek a waiver
to implement a conference title game as opposed to the team with the best record automatically going to a BCS bowl. All major conferences that have 12 teams have championship games, but the Big 12 is one of the few to have round-robin play without a championship game.

Obviously, the Big 12 is losing out on a chunk of revenue because of the recent departures of Nebraska, Colorado and Texas A&M in exchange for West Virginia and Texas Christian. Bowlsby claims that the Big 12 moving to have a conference championship with only 10 teams is justified by the deregulation going around the NCAA.

“At a time when lots of deregulation is taking place, it seems a little bit odd that the NCAA would be describing how we determine our champions,” Bowlsby told The Associated Press.

However, this proposal doesn’t sit well with coaches like Bill Snyder and Mack Brown, whose teams were both gypped of a national championship appearance because of losses in the Big 12 championship game. There has also been talk of adding ACC schools Florida State and Clemson into the mix because both they and the Big 12 would reap massive profits from the television networks. Monetarily, this would be a good move for the Big 12 to make, but this extra revenue could cost the Big 12 any chance of knocking the SEC off its seven-year reign.

For the Big 12, the time is now. Act now or see SEC dominance for an entire decade.