Jonathan Holmes set to return from broken right hand Wednesday vs. Iowa State

After less than a month of recovery from a right hand injury, Jonathan Holmes is brushing off his hardly dusty jersey to play in tomorrow's game against Iowa State, Texas announced Tuesday.

The sophomore forward exited Texas' Jan. 21 meeting with Oklahoma after breaking his right hand during the first half of the 73-67 loss, the Longhorns' fifth straight. Since his absence from the court, Texas has tumbled in losses to Kansas State, West Virginia and most recently, Oklahoma State, maintaining a hardly impressive 10-13 record, 2-8 in Big 12 play.

Holmes is averaging 7.7 points and a team-best 7.1 rebounds per game this season. The Longhorns were outrebounded in four of the five games Holmes missed with his right hand injury.

“We’ve got to rebound the ball better,” head coach Rick Barnes said during Monday's Big 12 teleconference. “It all depends on John. We’ve got to get the effort. That’s what we’ve wanted all year, we just haven’t gotten it consistently. We’ve got to get three guys [on the glass]. We’d like to have more, but we’ve got to have three.”

Holmes's return will come on the same day as teammate Myck Kabongo, the sophomore point guard who will play his first game this year on Wednesday after serving a 23-game suspension for receiving impermissible benefits during the offseason.