Former Longhorns Justin Tucker, Chykie Brown crowned Super Bowl champs

Four former Longhorns participated in the Super Bowl yesterday, and two, Ravens cornerback Chykie Brown and kicker Justin Tucker, walked away with rings. They became the 11th and 12th former Longhorns to triumph in the Super Bowl and the first since former Texas cornerback and Thorpe Award winner Aaron Ross did it with the New York Giants last season.

A little more than a year after drilling a game-winning 40-yard kick in College Station to close the historic Texas-Texas A&M rivalry victoriously, Tucker helped Baltimore to its second Super Bowl victory kicking a perfect two-for-two, including a 38-yard field goal, with four PATs. The only stain on Tucker's otherwise stellar performance was a failed fake field goal attempt in which he came one yard shy of picking up a first down. He scored 10 points in the Ravens victory, the most by a former Longhorn in a Super Bowl.

On the opposite side of the field were 49ers cornerback Tarell Brown and guard Leonard Davis. Tarell Brown played an important role in the 49ers'. comeback efforts when he struck the ball from Ravens star running back Ray Rice's hands and recovered the fumble in the third quarter. The play revitalized the San Francisco team, whose near comeback from a 22-point deficit made defeat all the more heartbreaking.

As heaps of purple and gold confetti floated from the heavens, Chykie Brown stole the spotlight with his celebration. On the middle of the field, he lay down and jubilantly created a confetti snow angel.